The 1970s was a decade of huge change in the fashion world. In the early part of the decade, the mod look from the 1960s persisted, with fitted suits and mini skirts being popular among young women. In general, the 1970s was a time of experimentation in fashion, with many different styles of 1970s clothes being worn during the course of the decade.
1970s fashion in the UK:
- For men, denim was big in the 1970s, with jeans and denim jackets being worn for both work and play.
- By the middle of the decade, a more relaxed and Bohemian look had emerged, with flared trousers, maxi dresses, and granny boots becoming all the rage.
- The disco craze of the late 1970s also had a big impact on fashion, with glittery and revealing clothes becoming increasingly popular.
What was popular during the 1970s in terms of clothing:
The 1970s were a decade of change in terms of 1970s clothing.
- For women, the traditional “feminist look” of the early 1970s gave way to a more sexualized style in the mid-decade. This was typified by tight-fitting clothes, high heels, and bold makeup.
- The “disco look” also became popular in the late 1970s, characterized by sequined dresses and platform shoes.
- For men, the 1970s were a time of transition from the hippie styles of the previous decade.
- Leisure suits and polyester shirts became popular in the early 1970s, while double-knit slacks and sport coats became more common later in the decade.
- The preppy look was also popularized in the late 1970s thanks to films like “Animal House” and “The Breakfast Club.”
How to wear 1970s clothing today:
The 1970s was a decade of experimentation with fashion. This was the era of disco, so sequins and tight-fitting clothing were all the rage. Today, the 1970s style is making a comeback. Here are some tips on how to wear 1970s clothing today.
- The first step is to find the right outfit.
- Look for items that are both comfortable and fashionable.
- A good starting point is a pair of flared jeans or a maxi dress.
- Once you have your outfit, it’s time to add some accessories.
- Chunky jewelry, large sunglasses, and platform shoes will all help to create a 1970s-inspired look.
- Finally, don’t forget your makeup. Eye shadow in bright colors was very popular in the 1970s, so be sure to experiment with different shades.
Overall, the fashion of the 1970s was marked by a move away from traditional norms and an embrace of more eclectic styles. With these tips, you’ll be ready to rock the retro look. So, go ahead and raid your mom’s closet—you might just find the perfect outfit for your next party.